Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends are coming to Kennywood Park to bring loads of fun to children and parents alike!
Kennywood has announced Thomas Town, a family-friendly expansion where guests can meet Thomas, Percy and their friends as they find multiple new rides and attractions for 2018.
At $8.5 million, this new themed area represents the most expansive addition to the park since Lost Kennywood in 1995. Thomas Town will allow guests to see many of their favorite characters from the Island of Sodor. Cranky the Crane, Harold the Helicopter, Flynn the Fire Engine and Devious Diesel each provide a new ride experience that guests of all ages can enjoy. At the center of it all, Thomas himself will now pull trains on the park’s classic Olde Kennywood Railroad. In addition to the new rides, guests will find an event pavilion, a new gift shop, games, a soft play area and new stage where Sir Topham Hatt and his engines will entertain.
To accommodate this addition, numerous changes have been implemented with surrounding rides and landmarks. Guests will now find the entrance to the Raging Rapids closer to Ghostwood Estate, where the ride had previously been visible but not directly accessible. The Around the World basketball game, the classic floral clock and even the beloved Laffin’ Sal each will find new homes elsewhere in the park to make room for Thomas Town.
More info on this exciting development to come! Feel free to discuss on the forums or on in our new Discord chat room!
Earlier today, Kennywood announced that the Log Jammer would be closing at the end of this season. We would like all of our followers to be aware of an effort to save the historic, one-of-a-kind attraction.
It is with great disappointment that we pass along the news that the Log Jammer’s 42-year run at Kennywood will come to an end this year. This Saturday and Sunday (September 16-17) will be the last chance guests have to ride it and bid it a fond farewell.
However, a Facebook page has been created by several members of the enthusiast community. If you do not wish to see the Log Jammer removed, visit the page, and take their suggested action: contact Kennywood as well as Palace Entertainment and share your thoughts. As the page recommends, we request that any messages you do send are constructive and polite. In addition, if you are a Facebook user, please like this page and share it to spread awareness of this effort, and message the page directly if you would like more information on what you can do.
Also, make sure to visit our discussion topics about the Log Jammer on our own forums, where you can share your memories of this classic attraction as well as speculate about what will take its place in the future.
Thanks to Kennywood Public Relations director Nick Paradise, we were once again able to visit the park last week to see what’s new and improved for the 2017 season!
The most noticeable project upon entering the park are changes occurring at Kennywood’s newest coaster, Sky Rocket. Painters are hard at work giving the ride a fresh coat of paint, so it will be shining like new on Opening Day! In addition, a dedicated VIP line has been added at Sky Rocket, eliminating the need for VIP Coaster Tour pass holders to make the long walk up the exit ramp. The VIP line merges into the regular line just before it enters the station. Another change is a new room which was built to add on to the operator area of Sky Rocket’s station. What will this room be used for? Well, we have a pretty good idea and there are rumors floating around, but the park has not yet officially announced anything so we’ll keep quiet on that for right now! Be sure to check out the Photo Album below for pictures of all of the changes at Sky Rocket!
Here are some additional changes we learned about at ACE Western Pennsylvania‘s CoasterBash event held last month and during our visit to the park:
- The 4D Theater will no longer be showing Ice Age 4D. The theater will now feature The Lego Movie 4D!
- Racer will be celebrating its 90th birthday and has received some TLC! The park may hold a special birthday event for the coaster.
- All season passes now follow the calendar year and automatically include half-price Phantom Fright Nights admission and free Holiday Lights admission on select dates.
- Season pass processing is being held on April 22nd and 23rd. The first 100 guests will receive lanyards and a $15 buddy ticket! We highly recommend getting your season pass processed on these dates if you plan to visit the park on Opening Day!
- For the first time in many years, Kennywood will open in April… but just for season pass holders! The park will be holding a season pass holder preview weekend on April 29th and 30th with extra entertainment, meet & greets, photo ops, giveaways, and more! If you plan to attend, you must RSVP by clicking here!
- Phantom’s Revenge is receiving a completely new PLC (computer brain that runs the coaster) and control panels! To follow this project, check out Irvine Ondrey Engineering’s page on Facebook! We had the privilege of meeting Brian Ondrey, a Kennywood fan his self, and briefly discuss the project with him. He’s a great guy and Phantom is in good hands!
- The facade of Musik Express has received the LED lighting treatment this year!
- The current plan for 2017 Holiday Lights is to be open from the day after Thanksgiving through December 30th!
- Kenny’s Comicon – June 18th
- Brews in the Park – September 23rd
- Pittsburgh Pierogi Festival – September 24th
- Much more… click here for the list!
- Food changes:
- Pedro’s (nachos and tacos) has moved from next to Pirate and is now located in the former Pizza Pavilion location in Lost Kennywood. Pedro’s will have an expanded menu this year and is said to be more “Chipotle-like”.
- Auntie Anne’s Pretzels is a new addition and will find its home in Pedro’s former location behind the Pirate
- Small Fry (located in Lost Kennywood near Swing Shot) will now be an entirely gluten-free stand, including gluten-free chicken tenders.
- Snack-A-Saurus (located in Kiddieland) will have a brand new menu including vegetarian/vegan and organic items. They will also serve coffee, something we’ve been hearing from fans for a while they wish the park had! There will also be tea and other hot drink options available.
- Kennywood will now offer an all-season dining pass for existing season pass holders for $79.99! The dining pass will be loaded onto your existing season pass card, so there won’t be a need to carry an additional card around at the park. The pass will get you lunch and dinner plus one popcorn or cotton candy per visit (summer season only). For more details, check out page 4 of this document.
Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to keep an eye on the countdown timer to Opening Day in this post!
For the first time ever, Kennywood will open its gates a week early exclusively for 2017 season pass holders! On April 29th and 30th, the park will be open from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm. While details are still limited, we expect a selection of rides to be open as well as some “special entertainment” those two days.
If you plan to attend, we highly suggest getting your 2017 season pass processed ahead of time at the season pass processing days, being held April 15th, 22nd, and 23rd from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at the front gates.
As per tradition, here is your Opening Day countdown clock for 2017!
Opening Day – May 6th, 10:30 am
Kennywood has added a new All-Season Dining Pass option for the 2017 season. If you’re a season passholder and find yourself eating at the park often, this is just the solution for you! The pass allows two combo meals per day (at participating locations in the park) at least four hours apart from one another. You can also enjoy one popcorn or cotton candy per visit. Drinks are not included. Price for the pass is currently listed at $69.99 (a $10 discount off of the normal price). Pick up your Dining Pass here!
We also wanted to note that Kennywood has their Black Friday deals for 2017 live! Prices are below:
- Bronze season pass (2017 summer season only, no buddy days): $49.99
- Platinum season pass (includes 2016 Holiday Lights and much more): $129.99
- Ride & Slide season pass (includes 2016 Holiday Lights, 2017 Sandcastle, and more): $114.99
- Senior Evening season pass (ages 55+ entry after 5:00 pm): $29.99
- Funday ticket: $29.99
- Senior Funday ticket (good for ages 55+ any day of the 2017 summer season): $9.99
Get all of the details about each pass option and make your purchases at the official Kennywood web site!